Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cool New Thoughts

Elisabeth Adams lives and writes in Jerusalem. I've scoured her website, desperate to figure out how she got there, because seriously how cool is that? I mean, if it means being able to come up with cool descriptions like this:

She leaves the high, fertile tableland of Moab, and winds down craggy slopes towards the heavy, hot atmosphere of the Rift Valley. She fords the slimy, mineral-rich waters of the Dead Sea at its narrowest point, and turning north, climbs into the Judean hill country, encountering cool, clear air, terraced hills, and tiny villages. She reaches Bethlehem just in time for the barley harvest. This time of year, as a matter of fact. Tawny grain fields are dotted with indigo-blue globe thistles, and the early summer sun beats down on the reapers.

sign me up!

The above quote comes from an article Adams wrote for Boundless about Ruth. I've always loved the story of Esther--but Adams has made me look at Ruth in a new, exciting way. Did you realize Boaz's mother was Rahab? A prostitute who became an Isrealite! I knew, but it never dawned on me; in the midst of people despising and looking down at Ruth, of course it was the grandson of a prostitute who could see beyond his cultural confines to love a Moabite. Can't you just hear his parents and grandparents telling him about the refuge-providing wings of the LORD, just like he told Ruth: "May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge." (Ruth 2:11).

2 Samuel 14:14
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: your last post, YES, the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet. The verses in each section begin with the corresponding letter. Extremely cool: I can just imagine David using it as a way to help himself meditate.

Hope this doesn't feel too stalkerish, but (a) you have a very cool blog, and (b) I really appreciate your kind words about my article.

I *still* find it hard to believe that I've had adventures in Israel. Feel free to email me, by the way: I like answering questions. ;O)