Monday, May 11, 2009

100 Days with Psalm 119

I woke up this morning with a little dark thundercloud hovering over my head. Thankfully, the sky outside is full of white (not black) clouds, and the sun is pouring in through every window in the office. The clouds sailing above and the sun warming me on my walk to lunch placate my heart. Bad days come and go, but eternity remains alive in my heart. The natural world is God's way of giving us perspective.

Day One
On a happier note, I am starting something I've always wanted to do: 100 days with Psalm 119. I've read the psalm through at some point before, and have underlined, highlighted, and generally just marked the heck out of the first twenty verses or so. I've always wanted to get to know it on a deeper level, though, to really walk with and apply it on a daily basis. I anticipate being surprised by new revelations on familiar and not-so familiar passages, but ultimately I want to be polished and honed for the time I've spent digging deep, instead of wide.

There are 176 verses and 22 "sections" (letters of the Hebrew alphabet??). I don't have a plan yet, but I'll let you know when I come up with one. In the meantime, here's my prayer for these next 100 days:
"May my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word."
-Psalm 119:169

No comments: